Under the direction of the Information Services Director, the PC Technician II will provide user support to desktop computer users, perform routine maintenance on computer systems, work on servers, networking, various server setups and installations, install hardware and software, diagnose problems, and determine corrective action on employee workstations. The PC Technician II also may assist the Fiber Optics Technician performing a wide range of specialized technical duties in the operations, maintenance, configuration, installation, activation and troubleshooting of the City's fiber optic network and camera surveillance system.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Ensure user problems involving hardware and/or software support are managed and resolved in a timely, professional manner.
- Complete basic and advanced repairs on computer systems, servers and network equipment.
- Install and upgrade networked personal computers in all work locations, including internal components and all peripherals.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose software, network connections/devices, and hardware failures.
- Provide software support by assisting users in the operation of a wide variety of new and existing software.
- Serve as backup for other staff members in a mutually supportive team work environment and responds to system failure and maintenance emergencies.
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency repair calls regarding all aspects of the City's fiber optic network.
- May assist in the construction, splicing, distribution changes of City fiber optic cables and install fiber units at places of business, which may require using a bucket truck.
- Perform tests on the network to troubleshoot problems.
- Maintain documentation on procedures and processes.
- Assure network is functioning properly before leaving customer site.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and notify appropriate personnel when materials need to be ordered.
- Coordinate and communicate with end users, management, staff and vendors on project issues and status; provide user support, training and problem analysis on software, hardware and network issues.
- Coordinate and deploy systems within the City of Mount Vernon, which entails the installation and setup of systems throughout the City of Mount Vernon and any contract service the city has, this may include servers, network equipment and desktops.
- Support departments on special projects including database upgrades, department specific software installations or integration of new databases into their system.
- Work independently and in group settings performing complex computer installations and computer upgrades.
- Perform specialized technical duties in the repair, maintenance, construction and splicing of the city's fiber optic network as well as installation of the PON equipment and services as it relates to OSP. This will also include the installation of copper when needed.
- Perform the installation and setup of the City's Camera surveillance system.
- On call duty will be required on a rotation basis, currently at two weeks at a time for after hour calls as assigned by the IS Director or IS Supervisor.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the IS Director.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of networking and computer hardware
- Knowledge of networking and servers.
- Knowledge of various software products as in Microsoft Office for example.
- Knowledge of fiber optics and telecommunications preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills..
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills for establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with City staff, vendors and the public.
- Must have knowledge of Cybersecurity.
- High school diploma or equivalent, server or network certificates desired.
- Requires proven experience of three years preferred that involves setting up, maintaining and implementing servers and network equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of best practices around management, control, and monitoring of server infrastructure
- Experience with firewalls, Internet VPN's remote implementation, troubleshooting, and problem resolution is desired
- Ability to set up and configure server hardware
- Experience with security through access controls, backups and firewalls
- Event log understanding and management.
- Experience configuring, supporting and trouble-shooting hardware and software problems.
- Possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver's License, a CDL is optional, but preferred.
- Must have a driving history acceptable to the City and must maintain an insurable driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Information services work is performed in an office environment, which includes prolonged sitting and standing. The employee is frequently required to use hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk; reach with hands and arms; occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, often in tight spaces, lift and/or move and maneuver system hardware and peripherals, up to 50 pounds, unassisted when necessary. Specific vision abilities for this job include close vision, distance, vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Fiber optics work is mostly performed outside and requires physical strength and agility necessary to work under all kinds of weather conditions and on uneven terrain and trails. Exposure to noise, vibration, hazardous and toxic materials, fumes, gases and odors are moderate. Must have adequate hearing, correctable vision and manual dexterity to operate power equipment safely in a noisy work environment. Will operate mechanical equipment and perform tasks involving repetitive and arm movements for extended periods of time. Occasionally will work from heights and overhead for extended periods of time. This position works during the day (forty hours): however may be required to work some holidays, evening and/or weekend hours to respond to emergencies and/or to implement specific projects. This position will be required to be part of the IS department on-call rotation.
JOB LOCATION AND EQUIPMENT:
Work is conducted in a dynamic, fast paced office environment and outside in various locations throughout Skagit County. Equipment used for the information services duties includes computers, telephones, copy machines, fax machines and computer networking equipment. Equipment used for fiber optics duties includes construction type equipment, such as winches, hydraulic aerial lifts, and large hand tools for placing wires and related materials. Incumbent may also operate a bucket truck. Incumbent will also operate a city vehicle.
This application process may or may not include a written and/or a practical test. Please apply online at: www.mountvernonwa.gov. Interested applicants must submit a resume with their application. Interviews will be scheduled with the most qualified candidates.
The City of Mount Vernon provides and enforces a drug free workplace and maintains a smoke free work environment. The City of Mount Vernon is an Equal Opportunity Employer.