The Staff Attorney is responsible for conducting legal research and support for the Judge of Superior Court.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and analyze complex legal Issues.
- Draft portions of legal opinions based on research.
- Review Documents.
- Verify cited legal authority.
- Draft legal documents including trial brief, memoranda, and others.
- Keep abreast of changes in the law.
- Review complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings.
- Occasional filling in for the judicial assistant.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The Staff Attorney must be knowledgeable of the following principles, procedures, and concepts:
- Knowledge of relevant processes related to the Superior Court.
- Skill in the preparation and processing of legal documents.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Knowledge of personal computers and basic office programs.
- Ability to make priority decisions in accordance with established rules, regulations, and Departmental policies.
- Ability to establish and monitor the maintenance of complex record keeping systems and to prepare reports from these records.
- Ability to use discretion in handling sensitive materials and other confidential information.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with fellow employees and with members of the general public.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience to Perform Essential Job Functions:
The Staff Attorney should possess, at minimum, a juris doctorate and prior legal experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Possession of a valid Georgia Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Possess an unrestricted license to practice law in Georgia or have an active pending application for admission to practice law in Georgia.
- Cover letter, resume, Official Law School Transcript, Writing Samples and a minimum of two letter of Professional Recommendation