City of Portage, WI
Chief of Police
The City of Portage, WI, population 10,283, is beginning the recruitment and selection process for the position of Chief of Police. Portage is the Columbia County seat and is located 35 miles north of Madison. The successful candidate will lead a progressive department of 24 sworn officers and 4 non-sworn staff in providing community-based policing services with a strong emphasis on professionalism and collaborative problem solving.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Wisconsin Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Certification.
- Minimum ten (10) years of police experience with at least 5 years in managerial or supervisory position specific experience in planning, budgeting, and leadership.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Criminal Justice or related field (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
- Graduate of the FBI-National Academy, Northwestern School of Public Safety, UW Law Enforcement Command College or other similar executive law enforcement school.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Demonstrated history of successfully building effective relationships with the community, law enforcement partners and local elected officials.
- Proven commitment and experience leading community focused policing and problem solving strategies and practices.
2019 salary range is $72,815 - $109,243 depending on qualifications. Residency within city limits desired or within 15 miles of city limits required within 6 months of hire. The City offers a comprehensive benefit package. Qualified applicants may electronically submit a resume, detailed cover letter and application (Form DJ-LE-330) by September 27, 2019 to:
Portage Police and Fire Commission
115 W. Pleasant Street
Portage, WI 53901
Attention: Shawn Murphy, City Administrator
Or email to shawn.Murphy@portagewi.gov
Confidentiality must be requested but cannot be guaranteed for finalists. Contact Shawn Murphy with any questions at (608) 742-2176 Ext 324