- Associate Degree or 60 college credit hours toward a Bachelor Degree
- EMT-B Certification
- Haz-Mat operations level
- ICS 300
- NAFI or IAAI Certification
- CFEI Certification
- IFC Inspector II Certification
- Proficiency utilizing software and computer equipment relevant to the position
- Minimum two (2) years of experience as Paramedic/Engineer with cumulative fire service experience of five (5) years; or with cumulative fire service experience of nine (9) years at the firefighter level
- Maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License and safe driving record throughout employment
- Accommodation of any of the requirements defined in NFPA 1033, Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigator
Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and skills, may be considered.
This position is physical in nature, requires a high level of fitness and involves:
- Constant standing and walking on uneven terrain in various conditions to perform inspections; constant squatting, bending and kneeling to perform inspections at various sites
- Frequent sitting to write reports and drive to and from inspection sites; frequent twisting to inspect site structure and electrical wiring
- Occasional crawling to inspect multi-level structures; occasional climbing and balancing on ladders, stairs, framing and step ladders at unprotected heights to look for structural hazards; occasional reaching overhead and below shoulder to manipulate tools and equipment
- Frequent light grasp, hand manipulation and handling needed to use equipment; occasional firm grasp is needed to manipulate tools
- Frequent stepping up/down to get in and out of vehicles, trenches and foundations; frequent actuate mechanism needed to safely operate vehicles
- Frequent use of far acuity to detect hazards; constant use of near acuity to write reports and perform office tasks
- Occasional lifting and carrying of up to thirty (30) pounds 100 feet to move ladders from vehicle to inspection site; occasional pushing/pulling of up to twenty (20) pounds to open garage doors and overhead doors
This position involves significant administrative office work. During investigations and inspections, this position will physically spend time in the out-of-doors environment, operate vehicles in all weather conditions and be subject to mentally and physically stressful environments. This position is occasionally exposed to situations of extreme heat or cold, wet/humid conditions, environmental contamination, or other less than safe or comfortable conditions. The nature of on-scene investigation work is physically demanding and strenuous.
Position will be exposed on a limited basis to potential burns; radiant energy; explosive, electrical and mechanical hazards; and to working at heights. Potential for exposure to catastrophic conditions such as high wind, blizzard, flooding, hail, etc., exists on a limited basis. Moderate potential for exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, stress, blood-borne pathogens, and motor vehicle traffic hazards associated with emergency situations.
Employee may enter areas of loud and/or irritating noises such as engines and generators on a limited basis. Potential for exposure to fumes, odors, dusts, mists, and gases under poorly ventilated conditions exists on a limited basis.
Required Materials and Equipment
Vehicles and equipment related to fire inspections, hazardous materials, and fire investigations, including photographic equipment, evidence handling equipment, personal protective equipment, standard fire fighting equipment, emergency medical equipment, authorized weapons, shovels & other hand or power tools, radio, pager, computer, telephone, copier, and various related business equipment.
Operation of computer programs including Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook, Records Management, Incident Reporting, and Internet Explorer.
Equipment related to other fire prevention functions, including but not limited to, flow test gauges, wrenches, hand tools, and ladders.
- Background checks will include employment references and criminal history and when applicable, credit check, driver's license record, education verification
- Pre-employment drug screen
- Pre-employment physical
- Must be legally entitled to work in the United States