The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is now accepting applications for the position of Department Certified Detentions Deputy Sheriff.
THIS IS NOT A COLORADO POST CERTIFIED POSITION
Apply now to be a Detentions Deputy Sheriff with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office to Protect, Serve and Enforce with the best agency in the country!
We are looking for:
Individuals with integrity, excellence, and respect who have been called to a life of service, and have lived their lives accordingly
Good people who represent the vibrant diversity of the community we serve and measure up to the high standards our community expects
Men and women willing to learn law, policy, and procedure, and apply those in a fair, impartial, and equitable manner
Qualified applicants will be vetted through written testing, interviews, credit and background checks, a polygraph test, and physical and psychological screenings. Once selected, recruits will attend a 9 week detentions academy that combines classroom learning with physical fitness and skills training in driving, defensive tactics, arrest control, firearms and much more.
Those who successfully complete this process will join one of Colorado's oldest and largest sheriff's offices to help make Jefferson County a safe place for all people to live, learn, work, and play.
The entry-level Department Certified Detention Deputy Sheriff's works to maintain the safety, security, and control of an assigned area of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Detention Facility. This includes supervising inmate activities, preventing violence, supervising distributions of meals and services, classifying and assigning inmates to jail housing, explaining rules and regulations, and conducting periodic inspections of the facility.
Work also includes operating control panels, preparing various reports and logs, collecting and submitting evidence related to criminal activity, testifying in court regarding criminal activity, directing and assisting visitors and completing all other duties of a Deputy Sheriff as directed by policy, procedure and post orders.
Work requires that the employee cooperate and work closely with other investigators, deputy sheriffs, line supervisors, other law enforcement agencies and the public. Employee is subject to the usual hazards of general law enforcement and corrections work.
If you are called to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, you will find the duties, qualifications, and information on how to apply below.
- Maintains control of inmates' activities, including supervising distributions of meals, commissary, razors, medications and other items to inmates; supervises visitations of inmates and assists visitors; inspects items brought to jail for inmates.
- Communicates with inmates, giving information and directions, mediating disputes, listens to and investigates inmates' complaints; resolves inmates' conflicts and problems; and makes recommendations to Disciplinary Board or Administrative Sergeant, as appropriate.
- Attends to additional areas of detention/corrections facility, maintaining security and control of inmates and jail; prevents inmate violence, breaking up fights and subduing combative inmates, as necessary; performs crisis intervention as needed, including suicide prevention, etc.; reviews incident reports from previous shift; and conducts cell searches for contraband, as required.
- Escorts inmates within the detention facility and maintains safety and security of the Minimum Security Facility and Work Release Unit.
- Utilizes computerized data entry equipment and various word processing and database programs to enter, store and/or retrieve information on inmates. Summarizes data in standard reports. Prepares various logs, forms and reports, documenting movement and activities of inmates, grievance allegations, incidents of violation of rules, notable behavior, potential safety hazards, problems with facility hardware, criminal activity, etc.
- Operates central control center panel and monitors security cameras and television monitors to view areas of detention facility, as assigned; performs visual and audio surveillance of doors and activities of inmates and staff; receives inquiries and provides information as requested; controls outside entries, elevators, doors, etc., ensuring entry and exit of authorized persons; and responds to fire alarms and radio panic alarms, determining the location of the Deputy Sheriff in need of assistance and directing other Deputies to help.
- Assigns inmates to housing locations in the detention facility; supervises inmates during booking process and advises inmates of rules and regulations; and escorts inmates and locks prisoners in assigned housing locations.
- May provide field training and evaluate new deputy sheriff recruits, planning and coordinating training through regular meetings of field training instructors.
- Attends seminars, classes, training and lectures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of corrections.
- Will develop skills in the use of firearms and other law enforcement equipment.
- Appears in court as a witness to give testimony.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be 21 years of age by hire date
- Must have valid Colorado driver's license by hire date
Preferred Qualifications / Attributes:
- Sixty semester or ninety quarter hours from an accredited college/university.
- Active volunteer work in your local community.
- Ability to speak a second language.
- Honorable military service
- Law enforcement preparation to include criminal justice classes, detention facility tours, study of law enforcement/detentions publications, etc.
Each applicant must be willing to submit to:
- Written testing
- Oral interviews
- Polygraph exam
- Background investigation to include a criminal, driving, reference, work, and credit history checks
- Medical exam (job specific testing)
- Psychological exam
- Work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays
- PLEASE COMPLETE THE APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY INCLUDING EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE. PROOFREAD FOR ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS.
- Please include all jobs and volunteer work for the last 10 years
- All applications must be submitted prior to the closing date and time
- Notifications for this hiring process will be made via e-mail. Some e-mail providers (gmail, hotmail, msn, live, etc.) block e-mails from GovernementJobs.com or NeoGov.com. If you have one of the mentioned e-mail providers, please consider switching to a different e-mail provider to ensure you receive these important notifications. The e-mail notifications will include:
- Instructions on how to self-schedule written testing and/or interviews, including date, time, and location.
- Status updates
- IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION TO YOUR APPLICATION WITHIN ONE WEEK OF SUBMISSION, CHECK YOUR EMAIL SPAM FOLDER
The starting salary for this position is $52,931.91. This will be your salary while attending the Detentions Academy as Deputy Sheriff Trainee. Upon successful completion of the Academy your salary will be adjusted to 59,896.69 with a top salary of $85,288.35 after merit and time in grade based pay increases.
BY COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION, YOU CONSENT TO THE PROCESS NOTED ABOVE AND ATTEST TO THE TO TRUTHFULNESS AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
For Additional Info please visit our website @ https://www.jeffco.us/561/Join-The-JCSO