Responsible for the operations of the City of Lafayette Senior Center including programs, resources and services.
The following duties are illustrative only and are not intended to be all inclusive:
- Responsible for the operation of the Senior Center including the daily management of staff and operations to maintain the safety and security of the building.
- Supervises outreach activities to inform senior citizens and the public of programs and activities for seniors.
- Assists coordinators with providing information regarding resources and referrals.
- Supervises coordination of educational programming including, but not limited to, health, financial, emotional, safety/crime, housing and legal issues relevant to senior citizens.
- Establishes, develops, and maintains quality standards for Division resources, programs and services including policies and procedures, standards of practice and safety requirements.
- Responsible for employee functions in the Division including hiring, firing and performance of staff; assure that staff is properly trained and that performance evaluations are conducted in accordance with City policies.
- Formulates and prescribes work methods and procedures to be followed by staff, and takes necessary steps to improve operations.
- Implements program objectives, evaluates program results, and helps to resolve problems and concerns.
- Works to achieve Division, Department and City goals by contributing to the strategic planning process and associated projects, programs and tasks associated with the long term goals of the City.
- Helps develop budget information for the Division; monitors budget compliance; manages the process for pricing, adapting and changing programs and services to meet the needs of the consumer and the Division.
- Manages the purchasing function for the Division within established guidelines and constraints; ensures that the resources of the Division are controlled and monitored.
- Manages the overall volunteer program for the Division and coordinates volunteer efforts with the City's established volunteer guidelines and practices.
- Performs administrative and coordination efforts with a variety of service agencies in the area.
- Works with community interest groups and organizations in order to coordinate programs and the use of the Senior Center.
- Maintains records of program performance including those of recreation, resources and services provided by staff and volunteers; prepares reports as requested; requisitions supplies, equipment, and necessary material.
- Models a positive image to all program participants and fosters collaboration with fellow staff and external agencies.
- Exhibits responsiveness to citizens and works cooperatively with City staff to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Coordinates or manages projects of mutual interest with the Recreation Department or other City departments, Divisions or outside agencies relevant to division or department.
- Attends conferences, workshops and meetings and keeps abreast of current trends in the field of recreation and services for the senior population.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE: Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, scopes and methods for planning, developing, implementing, directing and evaluating programs, services and resources for older adults, as well as, knowledge in facility operations and risk management. Knowledge of the principles and practices of current public administration methods, as well as knowledge of grants acquisition and program management.
SKILL: Considerable skill in managing employees and employee functions, preparing written information and compiling data; communicating internally and externally and managing the conflict resolution process. Must understand and execute administrative functions including budget, project management, advocacy, grant acquisition and management. Must be skilled in the methods and processes for program and project development and management. Skill in the operation of office, program and building equipment necessary to perform the functions of the job is necessary.
ABILITY: Direct activities and functions of the Senior Division; administer the City's Senior recreation, resources and service programs, including the ability to effectively evaluate the accurate provision of those services and programs; develop and administer division budget; select, train, oversee, and evaluate the staff and volunteers; communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; interacting and maintaining effective professional relationships with employees, city officials, outside agencies and members of the public, especially the senior population.
TRAINING: Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Recreation or Therapeutic Recreation, Human Services, or Public Administration, or a closely related field, is required.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of progressively responsible related work overseeing programs and services and/or facilities designed for older adults and persons with disabilities including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
CPR/AED: Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) status preferred.
The City of Lafayette is a smoke-free workplace. Smoking by employees is prohibited during work hours and in or at any City facility or grounds.