**$1,500 or $2,500 Signing Allowance** (see Salary info for details)
Deputy Sheriffs are responsible for the protection of life and property and the enforcement of laws and regulations. This work involves an element of personal danger and frequent contact with the public during routine and emergency situations.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Must be Florida Certified or Currently Attending a Florida Law Enforcement Officer Academy:
- Florida Certified (vested with authority to bear arms and make arrests): Must have successfully completed the Florida Law Enforcement Officer Certification or Equivalency of Training from a Florida law enforcement academy and a passing score on the Florida law enforcement officer certification exam.
- Currently Attending an Academy: Must be currently attending a Florida law enforcement officer academy. Must obtain passing score on the state law enforcement officer certification exam prior to receiving a conditional offer.
- Good work history.
- Accredited high school or GED diploma. (Will not accept a certificate of completion.)
- Must be able to comprehend and communicate fluently in verbal and written English.
- At least 21 years of age.
- U.S. Citizen.
- Valid driver's license for the last year.
- Must not have been convicted of a DUI (or any reduced charge such as reckless driving) within the past five years. Other driving history will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony.
- Must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral character, false statements, perjury or domestic violence.
- Must not have received a dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
- No marijuana use within the last two years. No illegal drug use (scheduled narcotic) within the last three years. All other drug usage will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- Good physical condition.
Applicants with body ornamentation (tattoos) shall not have any visible body ornamentation on the head, face, and neck area, which includes the visible skin while wearing a collared uniform shirt with an unbuttoned top button. Employees shall not have any visible body ornamentation located on the hands which is defined as the area from wrist to fingertips; however, a tattoo simulating a wedding ring on the ring finger of the left hand will not be considered excessive as described herein. Applicants are encouraged to read the agency body ornamentation policy (Download PDF reader)before applying.
PROCESSING & TRAINING
All candidates for deputy positions will participate in the following steps:
- Online application
- Voice Stress Analysis (truth verification)
- Panel Interview
- Complete Background Check
- Medical exam & drug screen (after conditional job offer)
- Psychological Evaluation (after conditional job offer)
Processing time on average is 3-5 months.
Newly hired certified deputy sheriffs (with or without law enforcement officer experience) must participate in Basic Recruit Training (BRT). This 9-week program covers all high liability areas, including driving, shooting, defensive tactics, and agency policies and procedures. After successfully completing Basic Recruit Training, new deputies complete 14 weeks in the Field Training and Evaluation Program (FTEP).